Silgan’s packages aim to protect and preserve our customers’ products, delivering these products to consumers in their desired condition while being mindful of the associated environmental impacts throughout the product lifecycle.
Metal Cans: The Most Recycled Food Package in the World
Metal cans are 100% recyclable; Steel and aluminum's infinite open loop recycling saves energy, protects and conserves resources and minimizes landfill waste.
- Steel cans boast the highest recycling rate of all food packages combined in the world.
- Steel food cans also boast a minumum recycled content of 25%, and can go as high as 35%.
- Steel that is not recycled is harmless to the environment and simply rusts and returns to its natural components.
- Every ton of recycled steel saves 3,600 pounds of CO2, 2,500 pounds of iron ore, 1,400 pounds of coal and 120 pounds of limestone.
- Recycled steel saves enough energy each year to electrically power almost 18 million households.
- Making new steel products from recycled steel instead of virgin resources reduces water use by 40%, water pollution by 76%, air pollution by 86%, and mining wastes by 97%.
- The use of recycled material for new aluminum consumes 95% less energy and produces 95% less greenhouse gas emissions than making metal from new materials.
- Recycling one ton of aluminum conserves more than 207 million BTUs – the equivalent of 36 barrels of oil, or 1,665 gallons of gasoline.
Utilize our Sustainability Calculator to see how many of our precious resources are saved with each recycled steel can.
In today’s environmentally aware marketplace, choosing packaging formats with clear sustainability credentials can deliver a competitive advantage for your business.
Safe & Healthy
The metal food can is one of the safest and most robust forms of food packaging. Cans are stackable, unbreakable, tamper-proof and tamper-evident.
- The canning process delivers long-term quality and product shelf life. Food nutrients are locked in at their peak of ripeness and freshness.
- Many canned products actually provide more health-promoting nutrients than their fresh counterparts, without the need for additive and preserving agents.
- Steel cans’ total barrier performance against light, water and air is 100%, all factors that degrade product.
Silgan Containers | 21800 Oxnard St., Ste. 600 | Woodland Hills, CA 91367 | 818.710.3700
Copyright 1999-2014 Silgan Containers. All Rights Reserved. Legal Notice.